Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Paleo For Life, Day 5 (Vanity)

"Takes a little vanity to know what it means."

Some people step on a scale in the morning to check their progress.
Maybe I would do that, too--except that a few years ago, my mom decided that 'scales are mean and they lie', and she happily threw ours into the garbage can. 
So how do I check my progress without a scale?  Simple.

I just check myself out. A lot.
Because honestly--who cares about the numbers? If I think I look good, then I feel good. Why should numbers really matter? 
I do weigh myself at my dad's house approx. every week.  But mostly, you'll find me staring at my self in the mirror with my shirt pulled up as I examine my stomach.  In my mind, there's not a problem with checking yourself out.

Not to mention that I have ALWAYS hated the numbers.  Before Paleo, when nothing seemed to be working, I was in a weight training class at school.  At the beginning and end of the term, we recorded our weight, body fat percentage, and various measurements of our bodies (hips, bust, waist, calf, bicep, etc.).  Those were the worst days of the entire semester.  I didn't want to know how much of my weight is fat.  It just made me feel like a loser.
When I went to the doctor recently, they did the typical weigh-in.  I glared a little at the scale.  I sighed as I walked towards it.  The nurse slightly smiled.  I stepped onto the scale, closed my eyes, and said, "You can look at it and write whatever you need to down.  But I'm not going to. Don't tell me what the scale says."

I think she was a little surprised, but she respected my strange request nontheless. :)

Isn't it nice when you pull on your pants to discover that they're too big?  I now have 2 pairs of pants and a pair of shorts that have to be worn with a belt.  [I think I'll go to D.I. and get some suspenders...just for kicks and giggles.]

Start Paleo, and you'll be checkin' yourself out too.  It works.  There are awesome results. 

Meal #1-
Coconut Crepe with strawberries and blueberries
[Yes, I finally satisfied that craving...]

Meal #2-
Loaded Salad

Meal #3-
Salad with Curry Dressing (something my mom invented today. Super awesome! I'll get you the recipe soon)

Meal #4-
Spaghetti Squash with Curry Shrimp(also will get you the recipe soon. It's really easy!)

YUM!

1 comment: