Friday, April 15, 2011

Paleo For Life, Day 1

I echo the words of my mother when I say 'what if I blow up like a balloon?'  What if eating grains again makes me regain all the weight I've lost?
After making Banana Bread last night, I will admit, I had 3 slices of that masterpiece.  With Real Butter.  And it was absolutely worth it.  Every bite was as delicious as I had dreamed of.
Divinity in a Loaf

This morning, when I woke up to run, I was so sore.  It hurt to roll out of bed.  So I decided to see how I felt after another 30 minutes of sleep.  After 30 minutes, still in pain. So what did I do? I decided to take a day off. I slept in until noon, and even then got up begrudgingly.  I ate breakfast(maybe it should really be called lunch, seeing as it was halfway through the day), and went to go shower.

But as I was getting ready to go shower, I see my running clothes sitting in the corner of my room.

Waiting.

It was like they were guilt tripping me!  I groaned. Out loud. I said, "I don't want to! Not today!"
I looked in the mirror and checked out my stomach. [Because I do that.]  I groaned a little more.  Was it just me or was my stomach not as flat as it had been yesterday? Is my mind making this up or is this for real? Do I have Balloonitis?!

Next thing I know I'm in my running clothes and sneakers, putting my earbuds in, and running down the street.
I never regret a work-out once I've done it.  Even when it is raining. Even when I trip on the sidewalk and the corner of my iPod gets a little chipped. [Yes, that happened today.  It kinda surprised me. I lay on my back on someone's lawn with a quizzical expression, thinking, "How the hecka did that happen?"] Even though passing any man-stranger makes me want to turn and run in the opposite direction.  I never regret a work-out once I've done it. Ever.
And running at lower elevations? It rocks. It's like I never get tired.

When I got home, I took my Guilt-Free shower and when I got dressed, my pants were too big.  I had to wear my belt with them, and I didn't have to the last time I wore them.  So, GO ME! :D

Today was Waffle Night.  It's kind of a tradition for my grandma to make waffles one of the nights we're here.  She makes a BUNCH of waffles, and has toppings of whipped cream, peaches, raspberries, bananas, or the ever-original butter and syrup.  Did I mention that the peaches and raspberries are sweetened?

It PAINS me to write all of those things.

It brings me great joy to say that I was good.  Each waffle is divided into four squares.  I only had two squares, with a tinsy bit of whipped cream and some fruit.  (I might have had more fruit if it hadn't been sweetened.)  I cut my waffles into 'toes' (little squares) and ate slowly. I completely chewed and swallowed each bite before getting another.  I had 3 full glasses of water throughout the course of the meal. I also had turkey sausage, which I am SURE had sugar in it, but sugar seems to 'inflate' me less than grains.  I was full pretty fast, probably because of all the water I'd had.  But that's ok.  It means I didn't eat lots of waffles and sweetened fruit.
[Sorry, no picture of dinner. I could've, but I felt ashamed to post such a mess ;)]
Let's hope I don't feel like a Balloon later...I'm done eating bread for today.

The other day my grandma asked me:
"Once you're done with Paleo, are you going to slowly add back those things you're not eating into your diet again?"
I said:
"I'm never going to be really done with Paleo.  We'll kind of add back some things.  But only a little.  Because I finally found something that works, and I don't see why I should stop doing what works."

I can't wait to be back in Paleo Land, where eating Paleo is so much easier to do.  Because that's all that there is to eat.  There's no bread sitting on the counter, ready to be sliced and spread with jam.  There's hardly any on-the-go snacks, which means I rarely 'snack'.  It will be good to be home again.

Meal #1-
Scrambled Eggs with Onions and Carrots (I needed some more vegetables...)
1/2 kiwi
1/2 orange
(Stripes and I traded our breakfast fruit choices)

Meal #2-
Waffles, Fruit, Sausage, WATER(thank you, you Calorie-free nothing-ness that so wonderfully fills me up)

Meal #3-
Carrots, Celery, Water (Does that even COUNT as a meal?)

Meal #4-
Tilapia, Sauteed Vegetables
A Totally Paleo Meal. Hallelujah!

No comments:

Post a Comment